Thursday, April 8, 2010

injaynesworld we ask "What Would John Lennon Say..?"


On this week’s “American Idol” it was all about the music of The Beatles and as I watched the contestants, some barely in their 20’s, interpret this music that had inspired a generation decades before any of them were born, it got me thinking back to that time in my own life when we truly did believe “All You Need Is Love.” 

Ah, for the chance to be 20 again and know what I know now.

Dear Jayne…

Mom always said it’s as easy to love a rich man as a poor one.  Give it a shot.

Margaritas are to be sipped, not guzzled.   Stop at two.

You know that saying, “Save for a rainy day?”   It rains.

Wear a bra.  Your boobs will be hanging around your waist soon enough. 

Pissing off small-minded people in positions of power?   Not such a good idea.

There will be accidents in your life and you’ll be happy you were wearing clean underwear.

If it doesn’t feel right, it’s not.   You have the right to say no

You will never have the bubbly personality of a blond.   Stop bleaching the crap out of your hair.

No woman likes her own body.  Yours will be blessed with good health.  Be grateful for that. 

Just because a man wants to have sex with you doesn’t mean he loves you.  

What goes ‘round really does come ‘round.  Be kind.

Go ahead and take those chances in life.   For the most part, they’re going to work out okay.

There will be future generations.   Take care of the planet for them.

Everyone is not going to like you.   What matters is that you like yourself.

Finally… One day you’ll cease to be afraid, so you might as well start now. 

I’m glad I came of age in the ‘60s and went through my twenties with a generation that took to the streets to end a war and truly believed, however naively, that we would be the ones to bring about a world of peace, love and equality for all. 

I just wish I knew what the hell happened to us.  Where we lost our way.   How we let a society develop where individual rights trump all sense of community responsibility. 

If 20-year-old Jayne really did know what I know now, I have to wonder what she’d have to say to me.  

Imagine…

blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails