Wednesday, September 29, 2010

injaynesworld we are "Hot and Sticky..."


Get your minds out of the gutter.

It’s been up to 109 degrees here this week and just because he’s a sick mother, God decided to toss in a blanket of humidity yesterday, as well.

I don’t like being hot and sticky.   It wreaks havoc with my otherwise lovely disposition.   

This week it was 113 degrees in Los Angeles.  The highest recorded temperature for a September there in forever.

But global warming is a hoax.   Yeah.   Right.

Here’s a fun fact:   If the earth warms just six lousy degrees we’re all toast.   I’ll be the whole grain kind with crunchy goodness.

Oh, wait.  Did I say “if?”   According to the Nobel Prize winning folks at the UN Intergovernmental Panel On Climate Change, the earth’s temperature is predicted to rise from two to ten – TEN!!! – degrees by the end of this century. 

Okay, we’ll all be dead  by then anyway, so why should we give a big hot damn.   Hey, I’ve got no kids, so you guys with heirs are pretty much on your own with this one.   Still, the earth’s been good to me and if reincarnation is real, I’d like to have a place to come back to.

According to the book, “Six Degrees:  Our Future On A Hotter Planet,” by big deal science writer, Mark Lynas, there’s a lot we can do right now to avert the crisis.   Since our leaders can’t seem to agree about jack these days, it’s probably up to us to save our own asses of every size, shape and color, so I’m going to give it a read. 

Have you experienced any extreme weather this year?   Tell me about it.   Meanwhile, it’s only 10:00 a.m. and I’m off to take my first of many cold showers of the day. 

No one paid me any money to write about this book -- but they damn well should have.

blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails