Friday, December 24, 2010

injaynesworld we ponder "The Perfect Gift..."


I’ve been on the receiving end of some pretty amazing gifts in my life.  Things I really wanted, but had no real expectation of actually getting.  Surprises, that blew my circuits with the thought, care and love that I knew went into picking them out for me.   

On the giving end, the fun of seeing a friend’s face light up with genuine excitement at a gift that I’ve chosen especially for them brings a pleasure and satisfaction that’s hard to match.

News reports indicate the malls are packed with last-minute Christmas Eve shoppers, though why people wait so late to purchase their loved ones gifts is a mystery to me.  If you don’t know what you’re going to get someone before now, how much thought could really be going into the gift?  

Every year we all end up with at least a couple of those, “What the hell were they thinking?” presents.   May I just say, unless we’re closely related, please don’t give me underwear.    And socks with cartoon characters on them?    Really?    The dementia is that obvious, is it?   

We’ve all heard it said that “It’s the thought that counts.”   For me the perfect gift is one that says, “I know who you are.”   No one wants to feel like they got your Aunt Roberta’s gift by mistake.   Or something so generic, there’s not even a tag on it because it was recycled from your office Christmas party’s “Secret Santa” pile.

Honestly, it’s not necessary to come up with an “obligatory gift.”   I’m not a child who will feel slighted.   For me, it really is the thought that counts…

Of course, if you do want to get me a little something and you’re still stumped, you can never go wrong with cashmere.  

Meanwhile, here’s wishing a Christmas for you as full of fun as these joyful goats seem to be having.




And may all your Christmas wishes come true...


blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails