Thursday, April 3, 2014

injaynesworld it's "Forbidden Love..."


When I was but a mere child, my mother tried to instill in me what she believed to be the correct usage of the words like and love.  It would go something like this:

“A baby tears doll!  I love it!”

“We like toys, Jayne.  We love people.”

Or maybe this:

“I love chocolate cake, Mommy.”

“You like chocolate cake.  You love your family.”

On occasion, I could stump her:

“I love my puppy.”  

Once I entered adulthood and saw how casually the word “love” was tossed about, I understood her desire to teach me its value. To this day, I will check myself when tempted to use the word “love” in relation to an object, and I have to say I really do appreciate the difference. 

Imagine then my sense of self-recrimination when I recently found myself head-over-heels, madly-in-love with… a handbag.  Wrong.  So very, very wrong.  And yet I knew we were meant to be together from the moment I saw her. 

Lest you think me shallow, I assure you it wasn’t just a physical attraction.  Yes, her supple peach/rose, Italian leather thrills me at the touch.   The way she drapes herself across my shoulder, snuggling softly at my bosom causes my breath to quicken.  And her pedigree – well, let’s just say the lady is from a very good family.

However, it’s what she is on the inside that counts most and has captured my heart so completely.   Compartments.


I weep with joy just thinking about them:  One on each side and a zipper pocket in the middle.  And inside those?   More compartments.   To never again know the torment and frustration of having to dig for a ringing phone, a lipstick, checkbook, or keys.  You know what I mean, ladies.  

She has brought order and peace to my life:  On one side, a small writing tablet and pen, business cards, telephone, with room for a book should I wish to carry one.  On the other:  Cosmetics, comb, mirror and tissues.  And in the middle:  Wallet, checks, bank deposit books and keys.  Exactly as God intended.  Such generosity.  How can one not fall in love?

So, while my mother would surely never approve, I will say it now for the whole world to know.  If loving you is wrong, I don’t want to be right.  




This was written for this week’s Studio30+ prompt.




blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails