Monday, September 15, 2014

injaynesworld "Are You Fucking Kidding Me Edition..."


Urban Outfitters, are you fucking kidding me?

A fake vintage Kent State sweatshirt in a blood-spatter design?    



What’s next?  Columbine baseball caps with bullet holes?   Maybe Sandy Hook backpacks complete with dead child doll?  And when’s the UC Santa Barbara version available?

I was around at the time of Kent State.  I watched the images play out across my black-and-white TV screen and felt the horror of seeing the U.S. government turn its guns on children.  I feel the shock and pain of it to this day.    

But you know, I have to thank you.  Just when I was afraid that I’d become numb to the ugliness of the world, that I’d lost my humanity and with it my ability to feel outrage anymore, you come along with your insensitivity to the countless families who have lost loved ones to hideous, senseless gun violence and show me that I am still capable of feeling shock and disgust. 

Whether perpetrated by mental deviants who walk among us or by those charged with serving and protecting, the National Guardsmen who fired on and killed those four innocent students at Kent State in 1970 and the police responsible for the murder of Michael Brown, such tragedies should be marked with tears, not souvenirs. 

And to the dirtbags who actually bought this sweatshirt?   Are you fucking kidding me?! 


Update:  Urban Outfitters has issued this statement:  "It was never our intention to allude to the tragic events that took place at Kent State in 1970 and we are extremely saddened that this item was perceived as such … There is no blood on this shirt nor has this item been altered in any way. The red stains are discoloration from the original shade of the shirt and the holes are from natural wear and fray."

Yeah.  I buy that…


blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails