Thursday, March 18, 2010

injaynesworld we ponder "Paths Not Taken..."

 
I’m looking out on a large oak tree that is probably 300 years old.   Each year winter strips it of its leaves, rendering it little more than a giant black carcass.   In spring, its shape slightly altered by new growth, its height a little closer to the heavens, it returns, never questioning its purpose or path.

As humans, we question everything.   Like all of us, sometimes I look back on my life and wonder what if…?

Not with regret, because the paths I’ve chosen, however erratic they may seem to others, have managed to lead me to a place that I wouldn’t change for anything.   Well, I’d have more money, but hell, anyone can say that.

Every once in a while, though, I do fantasize about other things I’d like to be doing and wonder what my life would have been like had I chosen to emulate '60s TV attorney, Perry Mason, as opposed to my comic book hero, Millie the Model.  

Oddly, I never think what if I’d gotten married and/or had children.  

Sometimes I wish I’d gone to Stanford and gotten a law degree.  When I was in high school, we’d often cruise the campus for parties.  You’d have thought that, in and of itself, would have motivated me, but I was never a great student.   Still, that’s where Sandra Day O’Conner got her start and I would have had a kick-ass time on the Supreme Court. 

It would have been exciting to go to Columbia University in New York and study journalism, too.  I might have been Christiane Amanpour, Diane Sawyer, or Greta Van Susteren.  Okay.  Scratch that last one.   

I’d have killed to have been a rock star, but the gods wickedly deemed that I would be born tone deaf.  

Crossroads happen at every stage of our lives.   Opportunities present themselves only to disappear in a flash if not grabbed, but I’ve found that if you keep your eyes and mind open, there’s always another one.   

I, of course, want them all…

You never know what you’re going to get here injaynesworld.  Sometimes it’s nipples, sometimes nostalgia.   

Join the conversation…

blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails