Sunday, February 23, 2014

injaynesworld "As the Stomach Turns..."


It’s been a long time since I’ve given out the “Steaming Pile of Shit Award.”  

It takes a lot to offend me.  Seriously.  Go ahead.  Give it your best shot…

See?  Nothing.

But every so often there are things I see that turn my stomach to such a degree I truly fear for the future of society. “Selfies with homeless people,” is a website where kids upload photos they’ve taken alongside some of the most unfortunate folks in our society; many of them asleep and unaware of the hilarity that is being expressed at their expense by kids who have probably never missed a meal in their lives. 

Is this the disconnect we read so much about in this age of digital distance?   Have we raised a generation that is incapable of experiencing empathy?   What does this portend for our country when these kids grow into positions of power?  

As a teen, I did a lot of stupid things.  We all did.  Teenagers are a sub-species.   But I don’t recall ever taking delight in another person’s misery.  My peers wouldn’t have been impressed.  They would have been appalled. 

As much as I mock my Catholic background, there is something to be said for going to a school where scary women in black robes were allowed to beat the crap out of you if you even breathed disrespect.   

I’m not going to post the link to this steaming-pile-of-shit website.  You can seek it out on your own if you’re so inclined, but I would caution you to do so on an empty stomach.  To those of you who have children, show them these photos, and if they laugh -- for the sake of society – lock them in a damn closet. 

Prompted by “There are things…” from the “30 Days Minus 2 Writing Challenge.”  See what the others are up to today at We Work for Cheese.



blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails