Wednesday, November 25, 2009

injaynesworld "Friends Don't Take No For An Answer..."

The holidays are upon us again along with the need, desire and, all-too-often, obligation to purchase gifts.  For many of us, funds are limited and the pressure to spend despite that fact can feel like a pile of bricks sitting on your chest.  Don’t get me wrong.  I love Christmas.  I always buy an 8-ft tree and every year for the last 15 or so I’ve had a big tree-trimming party to kick off the season.  I have hundreds of decorations that I’ve collected over the years.   As I carefully unwrap each ornament to hang on the tree it’s like greeting an old friend, and I’m sure I break every fire code in the county with the number of lights I put on, but I do love a big, bright tree.   By the end of the evening, our wine-and-food saturated group can be proud of their handiwork and, as the tallest person in the room gets to put the star on the very top, the round of rowdy applause can probably be heard throughout our little valley. 

This year I realized that I would not be able to afford my party, nor the 8-foot tree.  I sent out an e-mail to all my friends, explaining that the Grinch had put the kibosh on any notion of our traditional gathering.    It was hard to do and embarrassing to have to admit to everyone how tapped out I was.   However, it would seem that my friends had other ideas and I was soon to find out that e-mails had flown around the group like Santa’s sleigh.   All arrangements for the party were being taken care of, the food, the wine, even the purchase of the tree.   The date was decided and I was informed that I’d better be dressed for it because the party was on and they were showing up.

It’s often said that there are some things money can’t buy.   The gift of true friendship is one of them.    I am overwhelmed by their love and generosity.  

And this year, the Grinch can just kiss my ass…   

If you leave a comment you will make my season bright. 

Thank you.   Now head on over to "Unmitigated, Life Without Filters,"  where I’ve been interviewed today by Mary Wyatt, and learn more about me than you ever wanted to know.

26 comments:

LucyCooper said...

O <-- that's my ornament for you. Or maybe it's mistletoe. You have a great group of friends lady! Enjoy your day tomorrow.

Kim Ayres said...

Great to hear you have such wonderful friends!

And I loved the interview too :)

kim said...

very cool interview Jayne :) and what a nice kickoff to the holiday season, to hear about how your friends came to save the Christmas spirit in your home :)

I just have to ask you something..in your interview, you mentioned that you're the one they come to for titles to the Lifetime movies..did you come up with "Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?" (the one with Tori Spelling? Out of all the movies I've watched on Lifetime (and I've watched A LOT) that title is the one that always pops into my mind whenever I see a young couple together that just don't seem to get along very well...lol

Linda Medrano said...

What a fabulous group of friends! It really isn't about the expense of it, it's about the togetherness of it. You'll have a smashing time!

PS Loved the interview! So cool!

Kristi said...

Jayne,

Only the most extraordinary of people have such extraordinary friends.

Merry Christmas,
K

Lee said...

What awesome friends you have!! That sounds great!

tattytiara said...

Karma can be a beautiful, beautiful thing.

I Wonder Wye said...

How lovely! Maybe I should've tried this with our annual Halloween party that I couldn't swing....

I am the same way about ornaments - I adore them, and half the fun is taking them out of the wrapping and remembering who gave it to me or why I bought it and what year..

Happy thanksgiving! I will be back to read more after the holiday madness!

Unknown said...

Fabulous friends! Enjoy the party. :)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

It's not about things, it's about people. You are blessed with wonderful friends.

I wanted to tell ya'll to have the best Thanksgivings!!!

God bless ya'll

Micsteel said...

Friends and family are a true blessing. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Ah, Jayne! Aren't friends wonderful? I wish I were there.......

Adam said...

I know exactly what you mean by that. Friends, specially those who value the friendship, are essential for a healthy life. And THAT, more than money is what we should be thankful for!

Adam (mrelife.blogspot.com)

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gayle said...

Oh wow sounds like you have a great bunch of friends!!!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I love our collection of ornaments, too, and I get to be the one who places them on the tree (I sometimes move one three or four times until I find just the right spot for it). More important, what a nice story about your friends. Definitely a heart-warming holiday story.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I seem to remember you saying you were an only child; apparently not though!

Those friends are family and you are truly blessed!

The Grinch can kiss my ass every year.

unmitigated me said...

Wow. Friends come through when you need them the most!

Lisa Wines said...

OK, so now I have big wet tears in my eyes. Such a wonderful story and an indication that it was the gathering and sharing that was the essence of your party, both for you and your guests. Have a wonderful time!

Jane Lively said...

How wonderful! Your little valley sounds positively idyllic. happy holidays to you, Jayne.

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Christmas is SO on at Jayne's house! Love it!

Tawnia said...

You deserve all the great gifts you recieve. Wish i could come and hang out! :) have a great holiday!
Love Tawnia

Ron said...

Jayne,

There is nothing more valuable than friends. And you have some very special friends to surprise you with a Putting up the Tree Party. I am enjoying reading your posts. You have an easy style of writing that I like. I look forward to your next post.

Jayne Martin said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I am blessed with both great real-world and online friends.

Stephanie said...

Great friends - and this also speaks highly of you as a friend.

betty-NZ said...

Hear! Hear!



Related Posts with Thumbnails