Monday, November 16, 2009

injaynesworld we chat with Ann Imig of ann's rants...


Ann started her blog, ann's rants,  in October 2008 as a way to distract her ovaries from demanding that she once again conceive something.  Now, having recently celebrated her one-year bloggerversary, she has attracted 243 loyal followers and succeeded in keeping her womb fetus-free.  Today we welcome her to injaynesworld for a brief chat...

IJW:  Good morning, Ann.   May I offer you a latte?   A Chai tea maybe?  It does seem a little early for wine, but what the hell.  I won’t tell if you won’t. 

Ann:  I do love chai tea, and now wonder how it would taste with a splash of Meyer’s spiced rum…

IJW:  I was excited to get your name for this interview because you have quite a collection of tiny heads who follow you, and I’m proud to be among them, and because you really are a damn good writer.   So let the games begin, shall we?  

Ann:  Yes, but first thank you and second, you are a damn good writer. Proceed.

  1. When did you first begin writing and what inspired you to do so? I chronicled most of my childhood and young adulthood in journals. Sadly, I cannot locate the journal that spanned age 9 through 17. When I do, I have big plans to share it with the blogosphere ala Cringe

  1. The blogging world seems saturated with “mommybloggers,”  and after a while many of them sound pretty much the same.   How have you managed to differentiate yourself from the pack as you have? Everyone blogs for different reasons. Blogs can be an easy, convenient way to update loved ones about your family, share photos and recipes, show your boobs etc… I began blogging with the specific intent of organizing my writing practice and in hopes of finding a wider audience than my two friends who used to read my rants via email, and my Mom who still actually reads my blog. Intermitantly.  My two friends? They still love me, but a year later they have better things to do with their very busy lives.

  1. Can you talk a little about your writing process?   For example, how much editing do you do from first draft to published post? How I wish I could say I ramble off a post in fifteen minutes without much thought. Sadly, I’m a perfectionist. Not the kind that produces typo-free posts, but the kind that has to stop myself from analyzing and editing ad nauseum. In theory, every time I have an idea, I stick it in a word document. Then days or months later, I go back and use all or part or none of it in a post. In practice, I tell myself I don’t have to put the idea in a word doc—that I’ll remember it, at which point the idea disappears forever into the nether region of my brain that responds “Vinnie Barbarino!” when asked what day it is.

  1. You recently celebrated your first blogging anniversary and wrote an excellent piece about what other bloggers can expect at that milestone.   What were your goals for your blog when you first started? My first goal was to showcase my boobs, but then I realized I no longer had any. My second goal was to write a humor blog—to make every post funny so people knew what they were getting when they came to annsrants. I made a conscious decision to keep my personal struggles personal, unless I used them in a humorous context (which often happens)

  1. I notice you don’t have any ads on your blog.   Any comment? I am an anti-ad activist. (Kidding, I was actually in TV ad sales for 4 years) I think I’m on the waiting list for BlogHer ads, but I’m honestly not sure. I’m not focused on the business of blogging, and how to make money on my blog. My goal is to focus on writing. Many people do both successfully. If I start focusing on making money, I will obsess even more about how many people are reading, and how many are clicking and how depressing it is to get a check for 31 cents.

  1. I’m a new blogger, having just started in August of this year.   What advice would you give newbies, like myself, for growing an audience? Unless your blog is hugely popular, blogging involves reciprocity. To get an audience you have to read and comment on a lot of blogs, so they will read and comment on yours. My advice is to keep searching until you find blogs you love, to make this reading/commenting process feel more like you’re building a relationship, and less like you are on a never-ending cold calling bender in hell “Hi there! Nice Header! Dude, I have those EXACT same TWEEZERS! Loveyoumeanit”

  1. You’ve written some charming interviews with yourself as a teenager.  If you could interview 80-year-old Ann, what would you like to say to her? I am praying she does all the talking and hoping to God that she has some wisdom to share with me, but what I’m hearing 80-year-old Ann say to 35-year-old Ann  is “SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh”

IJW:  Thanks for stopping by, Ann.  

Ann:  Thank you, Jayne. And I love the funky way you spell Jane. Or your Mom spelled Jayne. Now I really sound like a cold-caller, Jayne. Sorry, Jayne. Super fun. Thanks!


31 comments:

Flat Broke Diva said...

I'm totally with Ann when it comes to perfectionism. I try to back up my blogs as much as I can with citations instead of just rambling. I always emphasize quality versus quantity.

I also can't stop myself from editing a post 30 times before publishing it. I guess it's just my nature, given what I do for a living!

I'd like to go in reverse when it comes to meeting the Flat Broke Diva of a different age. I'd like to come face-to-face with the 15-year-old Flat Broke Diva and slap her!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This was funny and also a bit of an inspiration for some writing. Yay!

There is an award for you over at my place, if you get a chance.

MrsBlogAlot said...

What an awesome bloggerview!!

I was hoping for boobs but oh well!

It is interesting to get a glimpse inside the head of such a great blogger/writer as Ann. I must have missed the first anniversary special but I hope to be around for next year's! (-:

Great job Jayne!!

Lee said...

I'll have to go and check her out!!

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

good morning jayne! i found my way here via PJ's blog (seens from the back of my eyelids). love pj. now i've come to love your blog too! soon i'll visit ann's blog and it sounds like i'll have another:)
reading your post about kids (or the lack of)...so funny!
i've a twenty one year old, six hours away, a senior in college. just found out that he got a speeding ticket ...didn't want me to know so he paid it himself with his little college checking account. what could be worse? the check bounced. "mom, help!" oh kids are fun I tell ya, you just don't know what you're missing!!

marymac said...

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS! and love her blog! thanks so much for doing this interview so i could learn more about her- and you- and wow. awesomeness!!

Ann Imig said...

Thanks so much, Jayne!!

Jen said...

I've been reading Ann's rants for a while now, she has that edge and quick wit that I wish I could achieve so flawlessly, and she spells well. Great interview and since I have all my journals from those awkward years I might have to stop over at Cringe. Or just post them on my own blog...

Linda Medrano said...

I adore this savvy Ann and what she has to say. I spent yesterday with my 92 year old dear friend Miss Bert. Because I am 63, seeing these women makes me feel so hopeful for my own future. They really do prove to me that age is just a number. thanks Jayne!

G said...

Ads. I struggle. Actually I don't. If I had a million readers I'd have a million ads. Truth.

Margo said...

nice interview! I'm here via Ann's Rants. I started blogging a few mos. after her and it's weird how 3 mos. feels something like 10 years in blog years.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Ann is one of my favorite bloggers and to have someone as fabulous as you interview her was a real treat to read. Also? You asked some very good questions. I mean, very thoughtful and not the same as what everyone else would ask.

Fabulous job, Jayne!

Charmaine said...

I read Anne's recent post. I had no idea she was such a accomplished writer. I was unable to leave a comment.

Why do folks disallow comments? I mean, who cares?

There must be a reason. I'm sort of an idiot so don't mince words.

When Pigs Fly said...

Great interview! I will stop by this gal's blog and check her out. She sounds terrific. Thanks for highlighting her.

Adam said...

Hey, Jayne, great interview! It made me curious about the cringe book, eheheheh!

Anyway, I think she gave some very good material!

See ya!

Adam (mrelife.blogspot.com)

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

i also knit pick and knit pick and knit pick my posts. i will edit and republish 15 times. thanks jayne for stopping by the crib on friday and hope to see you back real soon

The mad woman behind the blog said...

Thanks Jayne! I'm new too and needed this. I think I first found Ann thru you and won't miss a post from now on.
This is my cold call, btw!

Pearl said...

Very nice interview!

And loving the fact that 80-year-old Ann wants to tell 35-year-old Ann to pipe down. :-)

Pearl

gayle said...

Thanks for an interesting blog!!

laughykate said...

I bow in respect to people who edit and re-edit.

Le sigh.

If only.

I continually cringe when I reread my posts. So many typos. If only I wasn't in such a hurry...

LucyCooper said...

Wow- two of my favorite bloggers in one post! Like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, only this blog post won't end up on my butt as cellulite. Love you both, and i DO mean it.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

This Ozarks farm chick just doesn't when to call it a story. I am the edit queen, is my Type~A perfectionism showing???

I just wanted to thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. I do hope ya'll come back soon.

You have a terrifically blessed day!!!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Great interview. Maybe you should start a talk show. I loved getting to know Ann's Rants better. I follow her on twitter.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann! Hi Jayne!


Great interview, loved it (meanit)!

That's great that your mom reads your blog. I have to copy and email my mom so she can read mine, for the life of me, she can't click on the hyper link. :-)

Jayne, I am fairly new to blogging too. I like *different* kinds of blogs. I really enjoy the talent (like Anns) in blogland.

:-)

Kristi said...

Fabulously charming post.

K

Jayne Martin said...

Thanks everyone for your great comments on this interview. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I know I sure did and will probably do it again.

Jayne

Unknown said...

Thank you for the fabulous interview and for introducing me to another great writer that I can follow.

AND, OMG are bloggers actually making 31 cents? I had not idea. What am I doing wrong?

Amy W said...

Ann is the best! I love that she originally got into blogging to show off her boobs--- I never knew that about her!!

Great interview and makes me love her even more. :)

Jack Steiner said...

Nice job. I enjoyed reading this. I always find it interesting to read about why people get in to blogging, especially those who do it because they like to write.

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

I love both you and Ann... always a treat to read each of you, so an interview provided twice as much fun! Thanks, Jayne!

Jane Lively said...

This was very fun! More! More! It's like when Laverne & Shirley would make guest appearances on Happy Days... a familiar face, but in a different place!



Related Posts with Thumbnails