Tuesday, October 27, 2009

injaynesworld we like things to go "According To Plan"


I woke up to wind today.  Not just a breeze, but the real howling type.  I hate the wind.  It messes with my mind, and does untold damage to my coif.  I can take any type of weather, but the wind.   It truly makes me uneasy.  I like order in my world, predictability.  I’m not one who appreciates surprises of any sort.  Why would a friend casually ask you to stop by to help her hang curtains, fully knowing you would show up in dirty jeans and a hoody, with greasy hair and no makeup only to have 30 people, dressed in their finest, each one armed with a camera, pop out and yell “Surprise!”   Why would anyone think that would be appreciated?

I’m a planner.  And I like to stick to the plans I’ve made.  Spontaneity and adventure are not my friends.  I have dinner at a certain time.  I watch certain TV shows and I go to bed at a certain time.  I don’t even like to go out after dark.  In my defense, I have a bit of night blindness that makes driving at night something of an adventure and there’s that word again that I like to avoid.   Oddly, and completely contradictory to my disdain for any unplanned event, is the sport that is my life’s passion which is riding and, most of all, jumping horses.  Yes, I actually get on the back of a 1200-pound horse, canter down to a fence and over we go, most of the time.  There have been a few times when I’ve been the only one to go over, definitely an unplanned event, but still I continue to do it.   Go figure. 

Tonight, I’m moving out of my comfort zone.  I’m going to a 9:00 o’clock showing of “This Is It,” the Michael Jackson film.   That is the only time it’s playing and I really want to see it, but I wasn’t going to go because, well, it’s dark at 9:00 o’clock, and by then I’m usually on my third glass of wine, drifting toward my jammies, and thoroughly settled in.  But a friend of mine wants to see it, too, and to goad me into going with her she called me “an old biddy.”   Then she apologized, but she’s right.  I am “an old biddy,” and you really have to stick dynamite up my ass to blast me out of my routine.   So tonight I’m breakin’ out, baby.  I’m riskin’ it big time.  I’m going to a 9:00 o’clock movie.  

Unless it’s windy.


16 comments:

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

You wild woman, you! Going out after bedtime on a school night! Enjoy! (I'll be in my jammies thinking about you!)

Lee said...

Have fun and give us a review tomorrow. Bet it will be packed!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

While I have no desire to see that movie (at least in a theatre) I encourage you to shake things up a bit. Step out of your box. Do something wild. And then I might even take some of my own advice because if you look up dull in the dictionary.....there I am. *sigh*

Gone, long gone. said...

I also don't like when it's windy.
Or cold.
But rain, hard rain, when I'm just laying down to sleep.... that's the best.

Kristi said...

We're so much alike it frightens me (not for me, but for you).

I'm looking forward to your review. Let me know if you think my kids will like it.

Love,
K

Kristi said...

PS If you're feeling frisky... do not wear the red shoes.

Micsteel said...

Good for you! Personally, I'll be out singing Karaoke tonight (can't sing Michael though) but I would love to hear about the movie if you decide to review it for your readers tomorrow. Have a blast and make your friend drive so you don't have to worry about that little adventure.

Jayne Martin said...

Thanks so much for your comments everyone. Well, I guess wind or no wind, now I'll have to go since a review is expected. Kristi, no worries about the red heels. I'll be lucky to still be awake, much less frisky. And yes, Mike, my friend will definitely be driving. She learned that lesson one rainy night when she had the misfortune to be in my passenger seat.

Linda Medrano said...

Jayne, I could have written this, but not as well. I too am an old biddy. I do not like changes to my norm. And I hate it when I promise to do something that sounds good at the time, but know full well by 8 PM I'm going to regret my decision. Then I usually go (sine I committed) and have a good time. Have fun and by all means tell us about the film!

Aunt Becky said...

Hey, that's awesome! You let me know how that movie is. I really want to see it. I don't know that I'll make it, but I'm going to try.

Adam said...

Hey, Jayne, how was the movie? Is it worth going to the theater?

PS: just remember that you are not the pig that built a house out of hay!!!

Adam (mrelife.blogspot.com)

Lucy said...

Would you please get out of my head???

I, too, am a planner. For years I tried to convince myself I was a spontaneous and fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of gal. But I'm just not.

I like a schedule (the baby does NOT though so that has brought some chaos into my life!) and I like to know what I'm doing well before it happens. If someone calls me say on a Sat. morning to get together on Sat. afternoon, I'm probably going to say no whether I already have plans or not.

Because it was not part of my original plan!

Did I mention that I once thought I was spontaneous?? HA!

The Peach Tart said...

good for you. can't wait to hear the review

MrsBlogAlot said...

Oh Jayne you sound exactly like me!

I am such a creature of habit. Don't mess with my routine or I'll be a hot mess.

But I wish I were going with you -if it was at like 5 or 6pm. But just like me, when forced into something different (once in a while-let's not get crazy) I think that you will love it (and you won't have to do it again for a long time).

I have been saying that I'm going to see this show for weeks but do you think I'll be up past 8:30pm let alone dressed for public viewing and out of my house?.....I can't wait to hear all about it from you!
Have a ball and leave your watch at home!

xooxxoMelyssa
p.s. used to ride in my previous life-a wonderful daytime activity. Quarter horses. I still miss the smell of it all

Lisa Wines said...

Hahaha! You're right, we were separated at birth. I am sooooo not into going out late at night, even though I live in a late-night city. I'll do it once in a while, with that stick of di-no-mite up my ass too. So glad you found me and thanks for stopping by.

Sarah said...

Jayne,
You make me smile, as always!! I however, am not a planner...to the point that I annoy myself...LOL!!! I am becoming more so as I get older but still, I love spontaneity, to a point. I prefer to go out at night or early in the morning because there are not as many people out. You'll have to let us know how the movie goes as I will surely be passed out from exhaustion by that point. (I had clinicals today & have been up since 4:30am)



Related Posts with Thumbnails