Wednesday, February 24, 2010

injaynesworld we ask "Nipples... What's The Big Deal?"

I stumbled across this photo from a topless sledding event in Germany and it got me thinking.  Notice the strategically photo-shopped-in yellow stars?   

It reminded me of the  Janet Jackson Super Bowl “Nipplegate” where a split-second nipple exposure caused heads to explode all across the nation.   The event took on such importance as to actually initiate a Congressional hearing.   Yes, the boobs in Congress finally had an issue they could unite around. 

So what is the big deal about nipples anyway?   Everyone has them, but apparently, it’s only women's nipples that freak people out.   Men’s nipples?    Not a problem.  What's up with that?

In the U.S. we seem to have a love/hate relationship with the mammary papilla.  They are our first source of nourishment.  A mother nursing her child is considered a beautiful act of love, but do it in some places and it can get you arrested for indecent exposure.   

What awesome power does a simple nipple have that we may not view it lest we what…?   What exactly is supposed to happen if a nipple is allowed to see the light of day?  You don’t see this kind of Puritanical silliness in Europe.    Who is this guardian of our morals charged with making the decisions as to what we can and cannot see?  

Oh, my God!  But what if said nipple is viewed by a child?!  Horrors!

You’ve got a point.   Much better to teach them to be ashamed of their bodies at an early age. 

Here’s an interesting tidbit.    In the R-rated movie, a woman’s nipple is kissed.   In a PG-13 movie, it’s hacked off with a machete.   I'm not making this up.

Ponder these thoughts as you view the classic giant boob scene from my all-time favorite Woody Allen film, “Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex.” 





Yeah, I know Woody’s a perv, but here he was making a very astute statement about our society’s fascination with and fear of the all-powerful nipple.  

I have to admit, I have no answers.   I don’t even know why I brought it up.  Sometimes the damndest things just enter my head and rattle around in there.  Today it was nipples. 

If you leave a comment a nipple will go free…

blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails