Tuesday, May 4, 2010

injaynesworld we may need to "Duck and Cover..."

 
My early childhood years were spent during the Cold War period of the ‘50s when we were taught to duck under our desks and cover our heads for safety should an atomic bomb be dropped on us.   It seemed like a good idea at the time.

These days “duck and cover” has a lot of appeal to me only the covers are on my bed and I’d like to duck under them and do a “Rip Van Winkle.”    Lately, it seems like every day brings a new catastrophe in the world and I honestly don’t know how many more I can wrap my brain around.   The circuits are sizzling and I can smell smoke.   It’s not good.

Between the incomprehensible damage from the oil spill, the New York car bomb attempt, and now the horrendous flooding in Tennessee, I’m about to enter the numb zone.   I find myself self-medicating with copious amounts of cheap wine and endless episodes of  “House Hunters,” but nothing helps.   

Bad things have always happened, but they weren’t so immediately and unrelentingly in our faces 24/7 and we can’t seem to catch up.   The situation in Haiti is still devastating and I  haven’t yet recovered from the West Virginia mine explosion. 

I don’t know about you, but if I don’t take a break to raise my spirits soon I may go postal.   I’m thinking about hanging out with these guys for awhile. 


Seriously… Am I the only want who wants to “duck and cover?”

blog comments powered by Disqus


Related Posts with Thumbnails